Tuesday 5 November 2013

When Alzheimer's inspires art that inspires art: PART 2

A few days ago I told you about Bisakha and the umbrella dance that was inspired by a photo in Love, Loss, and Laughter of two people sheltering under an umbrella.

Still Me…Maureen Cullen contacted me to let me know about All Write Then, a group of new writers that has put together a charity anthology of poetry and fiction called Still Me. All profits from Still Me will go to the Alzheimer’s Society. The poems and short stories in Still Me explore the themes of love, loss, and laughter, through "characters who gallivant across the pages, some falteringly and others at a lickety-split."

Maureen was kind enough to send me a copy of Still Me. It is a charming collection, and I am impressed by the diversity of the themes and the entries. 

You can purchase a copy of Still Me by clicking here, or on Amazon.

The All Write Blog can be found by clicking here.

I asked Maureen if I could share a poem from Still Me with all of you. She suggested the following lovely short poem by group member Maggie Mackay as an example of the poetry included in the book. Thank you Maureen and to the writers in All Write Then!

Cannas and Cordylines

Cannas and cordylines guided me
through the gates;
sunbursts, rude red-copper,
in rows along the fence.

These days palm fronds thud like sentries
fainting after days on duty,
as my head, bearing a dry season too,
mulches half dreams,
faded senses.


-Maggie Mackay 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment