Thursday 9 August 2012

Giles Duley: Becoming part of the story he tells through photographs

Over the past few years many people have said to me, "Isn't it depressing photographing Alzheimer's disease care --- especially for someone like you who is almost always upbeat?"

My answer has constantly been "NO!". I find it sad to see the burdens of people with dementia and their loved ones. I find it distressing how little assistance is given them in meeting the challenges and providing the kind of support shown in LOVE, LOSS, AND LAUGHTER. But I find the kind of care I've seen in the places highlighted in the book so uplifting.


Moreover I've met so many dedicated, talented, wonderful people while doing this project --- people in the trenches creating programs, running facilities, providing counseling, bringing music and art and animals into the lives of those who rejoice in those benefits. And in this "second career" I've learned a lot from photographers who are working on related projects.

Today one of these photographers sent me a link to this video about Giles Duley. I've never met Giles Duley, but we share a passionate belief that images can do a great deal to help people understand what it is like to ________ (fill in the blank on any of hundreds of social issues).

Giles and I also are interested in the stories of people. I'm not (yet) part of the Alzheimer's story, but if I get there I'll have many friends and advisers cultivated through my work. Giles is already part of the story he is telling. He lost three limbs in an explosion last year when photographing in Afghanistan. How easy it would be to sink into despair from his experience, but he has put the knowledge he gained over the last few years into even greater contributions.


Watch this video and I'm sure you can only admire what he is doing. What a lesson for all of us, photographers or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment